What makes our Camp so special?
Our Campers with medical needs come to have fun, take safe risks, and learn to better manage their daily challenges…without having to worry about being different, excluded or the odd one out. We offer active programming that engages our Campers in activities such as: horsemanship, swimming, canoeing, sports, archery, nature, arts and crafts, music, and a challenge course designed to build self-confidence. CHT has a leadership program, called Blazers, intended to promote service, leadership, environmental awareness, self-reliance, a strong work ethic and an enhanced self-image.
Check out an example of our daily schedule to see what your camper will be doing at CHT!
We love to brag about our staff! We are fortunate to consistently have an amazing group of enthusiastic and talented people – counselors – here each summer to care for your campers! Our counselors are excited to spend their summer giving kids an extraordinary, arrow-shooting, canoe-paddling, giggling, art-making, horseback-riding camp experience that is both exciting and healing. Our counselors are recruited from pre-med, education, counseling and therapeutic recreation programs and are selected after completing a multi-step interview process – including background checks. They are all certified in First Aid/CPR; several of our staff are lifeguards. All participate in a week of intensive training before the summer programs begins.They are the best of the best – your kids are going to love them…and will likely continue talking about them all year long!
OUR MED TEAM:
Over 60 volunteers join us each summer to offer excellent medical care in an enriching environment. Our Med Team staffs Med Korner (our clinic) 24/7 to help provide care for your camper and all of our staff.
Your kids probably aren’t going to see their doctor or nurse wearing costumes at clinic, however, they most definitely will at camp! We know it takes trust for you to feel good about sending your camper to CHT and we want you to do so with peace of mind. Med distribution is matched to our camp schedule and most meds are taken to the Dining Hall during meals so kids do not get pulled out of activities. Additional med treatments, as-needed meds, specialized care, all happens in Med Korner. Med Staff are in constant contact with camp leadership via walkie-talkie and many are housed on-site in our Lodges.
We recruit medical professionals with family medicine and pediatric experience and these folks trade in their lab coats for tie-dye and their stethoscopes for a microphone at the Talent Show! While our Med Team participate in camp along-side our campers, they are always focused on the well-being of each camper and staff.
We are located just minutes from the UVA Medical Center and are easily accessible from I-64 or the 250 bypass around Charlottesville.
- Med Korner – our fully equipped and cheery healthcare center
- Lodges – housing for our Med Team featuring kitchenettes and living rooms
- Almost 75 acres of beautiful woodland & hiking trails
- 5 youth cabins with two sides joined by a porch
- Each cabin includes an accessible bathroom
- Blazer Cabin for teen campers
- Dining Hall with commercial kitchen
- Activity Pavilion
- Campfire Circle & Amphitheater
- Sport Court
- Swimming Pool
- TP Hill with campfire circle and outdoor sleeping platforms
- Challenge Course with Climbing Wall; includes high and low rope elements
- Horsemanship Program at the Stables
- Waterfront area with canoeing, kayaking and fishing
- Zip Line from upper camp to lower waterfront with amazing pond view
- Activity Areas for nature, music, arts & crafts, messy art and more